Migrating Pages From Old Volumes To New

It’s about to be January 1st and – while I won’t have filled up my last Leuchtturm yet – I’m still going to start a new one for the new year. The one I start for the new year will be volume 10 as I’ve been doing this for over two years now and I typically have not used a notebook for more than 3 months. Christmas this year is compacted into our office due to some renovations so our stockings are now hung on a bookshelf framing my bullet journals beautifully, don’t you think?

stockings

With a new notebook though, comes the transfer of pages/information from the current one that you still need/want in the new one. I used to just put these type of pages in on page 1, page 2, page 3, etc. However, these are also often pages I tab and I find it harder to grab a tab when they’re all one page after another. It also just feels heavy having frequently checked pages all on the front of the journal. SO! I started something new with my last volume…I spread out where I placed those migrated pages. The problem was how to mark them in the index. Obviously I’ll probably use the in-between pages as daily pages, so with my last volume I just listed out these important pages on the index in order and counted on not needing to index anything in between.

Except that I wanted to index stuff in between.

I just forgetting to only use those “in-between” pages as daily pages, or sometimes I just wanted to index something new near it’s daily page. Something would come up and I wanted an indexable page – like a project at work. And I didn’t want to put it at the end of all of the migrated pages because then it wasn’t near the daily page where I first created it. Part of the joy of the bullet journal system is that, when you make an indexable page it happens near the daily page where you first created it so the timeline tends to fit and it’s nice to have those newly needed index pages near the daily pages because chances are very good you’ll be referencing them together. My current volume has a super-sloppy index page because I kept forgetting to only put daily pages between migrated pages and I had to index pages out of order and arrows had to be drawn and it was TERRIBLE.

SO! I’m managing it a little better this time so I don’t end up with a sloppy index page. I’m using the BACK of the LAST index page that the Leuchtturm1917 gives you and I’m just listing out the migrated pages as I create them. This way I have them indexed, but not “permanently”. And then, once I make it past the last migrated page on my PERMANENT index page, I’ll tape a picture or a coloring page or a sticker over this to cover it up. IT WILL BE LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED.

index

Do you do something similar? Or do you not have these issues in your new volumes?

6 thoughts on “Migrating Pages From Old Volumes To New

• January 4, 2016 at 11:25 pm

I use a sticky note for anything temporary…works pretty good.

• January 12, 2016 at 6:36 pm

In college (back when we rode dinosaurs to school) I learned to number the pages of a new notebook/journal, then create the index pages with a line for each page. As the pages are used, I would fill in the index page. For instance, if I had a 10 page journal, I would put numbers from 1 – 10 in the outside lower corner of each page, write 1 – 10 down the side of page 1, and write “Index” next to the one. If I wanted to put something on page 7, I would fill in that page, then put that something’s title on line 7 of the index.

Some science lab notebooks come already numbered with the contents/index pages set up already 🙂

For a bullet journal, I would write in the date for each daily page, if I were to follow this system.

I’m totally new to bullet journals, but I’m loving what I’m reading so far 🙂

• May 11, 2016 at 3:20 pm

How about turning the Index ‘around’?
    In stead of topics per page numbers, use page numbers per topic.
    For example, in stead of:
    5: topic 1
    6: topic 2
    7-9: topic 3
    10: topic 2
    etc.
    Do:
    Topic 1: 5, 20, 33, 145
    Topic 2: 6, 10, 80, 96
    Topic 3: 7, 21, 35
    etc.
    For each topic you only would have to look at one line in your index, without the need of scanning your index to find all entries for this topic. Furthermore it would keep your Index cleaner.

• June 9, 2016 at 4:07 pm

so, my question is how do you actually migrate the pages? do they get cut out and taped in to the new book? my big concern is doing a page that may take a year to complete, but i burn through journals in a few months, like books to read for the year, miles walked, etc.

• June 13, 2016 at 9:29 am

I actually just rewrite them, I find it cathartic. Now, if I only need to modify it a few times a year (like a lifelong bucket list) I’ll just mark in the index: (Reminder: Bucket List Volume 7 p. 17) or something like that. But most pages I rewrite, like my “Books to Read” or “Books Read” etc

• June 13, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Another solution could be using a Levenger Circa or Staples Arc notebook: all pages are easily transferable