Do You Prefer A Monday or Sunday Start To The Week On A Monthly View?

scratch

Since I only have the current week and current month in my bullet journal active at one time, future planning became a challenge. I compensated for this by printing up a month’s worth of monthly pages and keeping them clipped to the back of my notebook. I call these the “scratch” pages because – as you can see – the events are barely legible and no where near ready for practical use.

When I start feeling like I’m adding more stuff to the upcoming month than the current month, I create that month’s page in my bullet journal. Usually that’s about 10 days away from the end of the current month, which is where I found myself yesterday when it was time to get ready for July. First, I had to decide if I wanted a portrait or landscape style page.

2017

And then – I had to decide – DO I WANT TO SKIP THE NEXT 12 MONTHS ALL TOGETHER?

Do you see why? Because when I took this photo I didn’t notice a problem. I even put it on instagram. And then I started to fill it out and I noticed I had a race on a weird day and that’s unusual so I went to check my scratch page and…hmm…it’s on a Saturday there. What is going on?

OH. I SEE. I PRINTED UP 2017 INSTEAD.

I immediately rushed and deleted the photo from instagram (SO EMBARASSED!) and tried again. This was the photo that ended up on instagram and STAYED.

A photo posted by Zoot (@bulletjournaljoy) on

But. As I was working on my monthly spread I reconsidered something. Why do I start my monthly calendar page with a Sunday when I do my Weekly Spreads starting on a Monday? So. I made my THIRD attempt at a Monthly Page and quickly put together a Monday-Start variation of the July Monthly Page.

IMG_5183

I’m not sure why this has never occurred to me before. I know for sure that – for my weekly spreads – I prefer a Monday start. To me, Monday is the start of my week. It never crossed my mind that my monthly printables looked different. I’m not sure if it matters since most monthly calendars do use Sunday as the start of the week.

Either way – something about it bugged me so I’m trying something new. I’ll let this month be the test. If I find I like it better, I’ll offer both varieties on my printable page. What are your thoughts?

Tools I Use:
Notebook: Leuchtturm 1917 A5 Hardcover Dotted
Cover: Custom cover with trail marker from my favorite local race. Made by Makers South
Pens: Currently loving the Paper Mate Inkjoy Gel Pens, Fine Point

15 thoughts on “Do You Prefer A Monday or Sunday Start To The Week On A Monthly View?

• June 23, 2016 at 11:01 am

I’m with you! I like a Monday start and I like to have the weekend together at the END of the week! Ha ha!!

• June 23, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Definitely a Monday start!

• June 23, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I went through the same thing. On my weekly page I put a little view of the monthly calendar. And then my mind kind of twisted until I figured out the same thing. I even changed my iPhone calendar to a Monday start after that. I would love printables with the Monday.

• June 23, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I got used to a Monday start about a year ago. Now when I have a calendar that’s a Sunday start it totally messes me up!! LOL ๐Ÿ™‚

• June 23, 2016 at 4:03 pm

I do the same thing. Start my weekly on Monday and my monthly on Sunday. I experimented with a monthly start on Monday and oh what a disaster. It’s so ingrained from 52 years of looking at a monthly calender where the weeks start with a Sunday. I had 2 disasters in one month, missing family events. I WILL NEVER TRY THAT EXPERIMENT AGAIN!

• June 24, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Same here. My weeklies start with Monday, but I’ve been trained to see the Sunday to Saturday format on a calendar since I was a kid. So it might be confusing to others, but it’s the way my brain works the best.

And thanks Zoot for the portrait layouts. I added them to my bujo this month and love it! <3

• August 16, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Hi Heather, and to me happened the same thing while using a Sunday start planner, I had to rewrite so many events because I always took the wrong weekday, used to the Monday start planner all my life ๐Ÿ˜€

• June 24, 2016 at 1:47 am

I have never thought about it before, but my planner has the month calendars start on Sunday and the weekly pages start on Monday. I like it that way ๐Ÿ™‚ Starting the monthly calendar on Monday just feels weird to me, but my “weeks” starting on Sunday would feel weird too.

• June 24, 2016 at 3:41 am

Much, much prefer a Monday start. I also consider Monday to be the start of my week and Saturday/Sunday the end of it. Also, having Saturday & Sunday next to each other in the calendar makes it easier to mark weekend activities, if that makes sense? I would love it if you wanted to tweak the printables to start on Mondays!

(also, maybe, if you wanted to, might I respectfully request that you possibly take it upon yourself to fully write out the month names for October 2016 and December 2017? All of the other months are written long version, but those two are Oct and Dec… definitely not a big deal, but it’s making the OCD part of me a little twitchy! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

• June 24, 2016 at 3:00 pm

My week starts on Monday for sure. I like having the weekend days together & Sunday planning time. Thanks for this post & your calendars!

• July 5, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Monday start. For both monthly & weekly views. It just makes sense to me to have both weekend days together. I’ve done this for years… decades, really.

There are many calendars & inserts popular today that do the mixed thing: Sunday-start for month & Monday-start for weeks, which totally messes me up. I can’t switch back & forth in one planner — gives my brain whip-lash & I get totally mixed up.

• July 18, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Since I am currently living in the Middle East, we have a Friday-Saturday off, so my week starts from Sunday!!

• July 20, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Monday start to see my weekend together. (Who says that last day listed can’t be the “first” day of the week?)

• August 28, 2016 at 5:35 pm

I do a Sunday start, but only because my primary day job (I have two day jobs) starts on Sundays. Thus, that makes Sunday a natural start to my week! However, if I switch to a different schedule (I’m hoping to do that soon), I will do a Monday start since the new work schedule would END my week on a Sunday.

• November 14, 2016 at 12:07 am

Maybe it’s because I’m old, but when I was working full-time we used planners that started the week on Monday and it always threw me off. It became a pet peeve of mine. Now that I’m retired, I have an even more difficult time keeping track of the day and the date! I think I’ll keep on with calendars that begin the week on Sunday, even if I do my planning on Monday morning.